Tuesday, December 20, 2011

New Cinnamon Popcorn Recipe

I wasn't totally happy with the cinnamon popcorn recipe I had so tried this one.  Not totally happy with it either.  the other one stay's in the oven for a whole hour and dries the corn totally out.  This one doesn't totally coat the corn so I tried heating in the oven until it melted and got re-tossed to fully coat it.  So thinking both recipes would work well just bake until corn is fully covered instead of doing it a full hour.  I liked the color of the 1st recipe better than using the paste coloring in this recipe, turned more pinkish instead of bright red.  Anyway just thought I would share the recipe and my thoughts on how to make both work better.  I bought a 4 oz bottle of cinnamon oil online at Amazon.com from a company called Olive Nation.  It came very fast.  I ordered it late Monday night and had it on Saturday.  They shipped it Fed-Ex to my post office so I could of picked it up Friday afternoon if I had needed it faster from my post office.  Both recipes tasted very good, just the 1st one was to dried out from baking a whole hour and the 2nd one needed to bake about 15 minutes to get it so I could get better coverage.

Candy Coated Popcorn
Using 1-dram (.125oz) bottles

4 quarts popped corn
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1/2 cup light corn syrup
2 Tbsp. butter
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. cream of tartar
1 tsp. baking soda
1 dram (1 tsp.) LorAnn Gourmet Flavoring (any flavor) (flavor amount can be increased as desired)
LorAnn Liquid Food Coloring (as desired)

Directions

Keep freshly-popped corn warm in large baking pan in 200°F oven.

Combine sugar, corn syrup, butter, salt and cream of tartar in medium saucepan. Bring to boil, stirring constantly. Cook to 250°F without stirring.

Remove from heat. After boiling action ceases, add flavoring and color. Add soda and stir in quickly but thoroughly. Pour at once while foamy over warm popcorn; mix gently to coat corn. Shape into balls or spread onto cookie sheet and break into pieces when cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment