Friday, January 13, 2012

Natural Organic Sweeteners

Anyone who knows me, knows I have a strong opinion on sweeteners.   Artificial sweeteners are totally unsafe.  Your body can not process them so we all have different reactions but none of them are good.  For me they get processed in my liver.  My liver is shot.  My doctor pleads with me not to take things like Tylenol and  flu shots.  I've been warned that those things are so full of impurities that they could kill me.  I try to stay away from simple sugars and starches which also play havoc with my liver.  Simple sugars and starches will greatly raise your triglycerides which in turn will raise your cholesterol.  If you think it all had to do with fats you just got educated.

So what sweeteners do I use?  I makes lots of desserts with apple juice concentrate.  I take 1 1/2 cups of my apple juice concentrate and boil it down to 1 cup.  What else do I use?  Stevia.  Stevia is an herb you can grown in your garden.  Taste the leaf, it is very sweet.  You can buy Stevia at most stores but it is a white powder that has been processed.  The Stevia I prefer to use Is home grown.  I collect the leaves and dry them and then as I need them I grind it into powder.  It's a green powder not the white process stuff.  The other thing I use is pureed fruits, like applesauce or bananas or even peaches.

Agave is suppose to be a natural organic sweetener but it's not.  It's not made from Agave plant but a starchy root.   Here is a link they will give you the full run down on this sweetener: http://www.foodrenegade.com/agave-nectar-good-or-bad/

That leaves the other sweeteners like honey, molasses, etc.  They are all simple sugars.  They may have some trace minerals but they are still simple sugars that will break down to exactly the same thing as sugar in your body.  But read on for my bottom line.

I started eating a couple pieces of fruit first thing every morning and that seems to take care of my sweet tooth for the day.  But the bottom line in my opinion is a little occasional sugar would be much better than any type of artificial sweetener.

So now you have my take on the sweet stuff. 
Cherlynn
brchbell@yahoo.com

No comments:

Post a Comment