Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Left over but promised from last week.


My home made pizza sauce

I love having enough tomatoes during the summer to make up several batches of my pizza sauce to can up. I use my big stock pot to make up at least 4 batches at a time. I know I started talking about pressure canning yesterday but I thought I'd go ahead and toss out my pizza sauce recipe in case you had plenty of tomatoes to can up. I water bath can it in pint jars for 25 minutes to seal it up.

Pizza Sauce

4 Tablespoons Olive Oil
1 cup finely chopped onion
1 Tablespoon minced garlic
4 pounds fresh tomatoes (or 3 pounds canned tomatoes)
1 Tablespoon basil leaves
1 Tablespoon oregano
½ teaspoon sugar
½ teaspoon pepper
1 ½ teaspoon salt
1 can tomato paste (6oz.)

In a heavy pan heat olive oil and cook onion and garlic about 10 minutes. Stir in everything else and lower heat and simmer, partially covered about 1 hour. Taste for seasoning and adjust if needed. Beat with a spoon to make smoother if desired. Use immediately or can or freeze for later use. 

Cherlynn
brchbell@grm.net


No comments:

Post a Comment