Saturday, September 21, 2013

Canning time rescue

I'm almost out of canning jars and had a 5 gallon bucket full of tomatoes that needed to be dealt with and then discovered I was totally out of canning lids.  Can't get any for a couple more weeks so what do I do?  I found out from my online canning forums that I could wash the tomatoes and cut the core out and bag them into freezer bags and toss them into the freezer.  No need to peel them.  When I'm ready to can them I just set them out and let them thaw and the skins pop right off.

I may never can tomatoes straight from the garden again!  I hate putting them into boiling water and then into ice water and then peeling them.  My back aches and I want to scream but we use tons of canned tomatoes so I need to can lots of them up.  Just for the normal menu's requires 84 pints of tomatoes per year.  Plus 12 quarts of tomato juice, 24 quarts of V-8 juice, 12 pints of pizza sauce, 36 half pints of salsa.

Thought I'd take a moment to pass this wonderful tip along!  I love things I can put off until a later time to can!   Never dreamt tomatoes would be one of those things I could hold off on!

Have a blessed day!
Cherlynn
brchbell@yahoo.com

No comments:

Post a Comment