Friday, November 18, 2011

Doing Pumpkin up

I cured all the winter squash including pumpkin by keeping them above 70 degrees for 5 weeks.  Pumpkins that have been cured only last up to 2 month's so I go ahead and can those when I have time.  The other winter squash if blemish free and properly cured will last 4 to 8 month's.  I have 1 apple box full of acorn squash and 2 apple boxes full of butternut squash on the shelf in my basement now.  I had 9 pie pumpkins and then 2 that the kids had bought for Halloween and didn't use.  Out of those I got 42 pints of canned pumpkin.

Pumpkin is easy to work up if you know how.  I read one book that said to peel the pumpkin and then cut into chunks to can.  Oh my what a hard job!  An old neighbor many years ago told me to bake the pumpkins after I removed the seeds in a 350 to 400 degree oven for 1 hour.   Then I cut off pieces of the pumpkin and slice the meat out of it and toss the outer skin into a bucket for the chickens or to toss into the compost bin.  I ran my pumpkin through the food processor and then canned it up. 

Pint jars in the pressure canner for 65 minutes and quarts for 80 minutes.  You can do chunks and puree it later and can do the same with other winter squash. 

Cherlynn
brchbell@yahoo.com

No comments:

Post a Comment