Monday, March 5, 2012

Chia seeds, I was so clueless and stand so amazed now!


This weekend I learned about the Chia plant. I confess I missed the whole chia thing and was totally clueless that it is a super food! Chia, is a species of flowering plant in the mint family, Lamiaceae, native to central and southern Mexico and Guatemala. The 16th century Codex Mendoza provides evidence that it was cultivated by the Aztec in pre-Columbian times; it has been said that it was an important crop. It is still used in Mexico and Guatemala, with the seeds sometimes ground, while whole seeds are used for nutritious drinks and as a food source.

 
Chia is very rich in Omega-3 fatty acids. It is also rich in essential minerals phosphorus, manganese, calcium and potassium. It actually has 6 times more calcium than milk! Much more potassium than banana's! 

 
Chia seed may be eaten raw as a whole seed, providing protein, fats and fiber. Ground chia seed is sometimes added to pinole, a coarse flour made from toasted maize kernels. Chia seeds placed in water or fruit juice are consumed in Mexico and known as chia fresca. The soaked seeds are gelatinous in texture and are used in gruels, porridges and puddings. Ground chia seed is used in baked goods including breads, cakes and biscuits. Chia sprouts are used in a similar manner as alfalfa sprouts in salads, sandwiches and other dishes.


I think chia seeds would be an awesome food to keep in our storage! I love hearing about foods like this! You can listen to my friend Vickilynn Haycraft tell all about chia seeds and other super foods like coconut oil in this link below:



I have to wonder what other super foods are out there that I have no clue about!  Feel free to let me know if you know of any! 

Cherlynn
brchbell@yahoo.com

No comments:

Post a Comment