Saturday, July 23, 2016

Popsicles

I love ice cream treats but the ones in the stores are full of so much junk.  Most of them I can't even eat because they have GMO wheat and soy in them.  They are also full of sugar which really isn't good for anyone.  So I have been collecting healthy recipes and will share some of them with you today.

I like popsicles because it limits me to one small serving.  If i get a bowl of ice cream, I might settle for two scoops but I am more likely to get six to eight scoops while I'm dipping up.  So making popsicles is better for me.
                                                                   

Creamy Coconut and Mixed Berry Popsicles

Recipe by: Fork Knife Swoon
Yield: 10 Popsicles
Ingredients
  • 1 (15 oz) can full-fat coconut milk
  • 1 tsp pure vanilla bean paste or extract
  • 1/4 cup pure honey, divided
  • 3/4 cup blackberries
  • 3/4 cup raspberries
  • I only used 2 Tablespoons of honey and I added a banana to make it more creamy. I also use my frozen raspberry, blackberry and blueberry mix to use it up and it turned out wonderfully!  I dumped it all into my blender and mixed and poured not messing with the 2 layer thing. Also note my can of coconut milk was 13.5 oz and that's what I used.
Instructions
  1. Whisk together the coconut milk, vanilla and 2 Tbsp of the honey, until smooth and creamy. Set aside.
  2. Blend together the berries and remaining honey, until smooth and combined. Add more honey, to taste, as necessary.
  3. For a creamy pop: Stir together the coconut milk and berry puree, and divide evenly between the popsicle molds. Freeze for 30 minutes, then insert the popsicle sticks, and continue freezing for 4 hours, or until firm.
  4. For a layered pop: Divide the coconut milk equally between the popsicle molds. Place in the freezer for 10 minutes, or so, then top with the berry puree. Freeze again for 30 minutes, then insert the popsicle sticks and continue freezing for 4 hours, or until firm.
Note from Laura
Use any combination of your favorite berries, adjusting the sweetness level as necessary. Remember, the sweetness will mellow once frozen.

You can substitute granulated sugar, agave or maple syrup for the honey, if you prefer.

I choose to use full-fat coconut milk in this (and most) frozen coconut recipes because it results in a creamier frozen texture that more closely mimics dairy cream. You can certainly use a lower fat-content coconut milk, but it will result in an "icier" textured pop.

To remove the popsicles, either let them sit out for 5-10 minutes until soft enough to pull out, or submerge the bottom of the popsicle mold (up to the edge of the top) in room-temperature water for 10-15 seconds, then gently pull to release.


Avocado Lime Popsicles           

Author: Healthier Steps



Ingredients
  • 1 avocado
  • 1 cup coconut cream
  • ¼ cup maple syrup
  • 1 banana
  • ¼ cup lime juice
  • 1 lime, zested

Directions:
Cut avocado length wise, remove pit, scoop out avocado flesh using a spoon and place in a high speed blender or food processor along with  coconut cream, maple syrup, banana, lime juice and lime zest. Process until smooth, scraping down sides. Pour into  popsicle mold evenly, insert popsicle sticks and freeze for about 6 hours.

And my last one today is fudgesicles made better!  I used my natural peanut butter as that's what I had on hand.  Everytime we get bananas I take the ones that's getting ripe to fast and peel and up in half in the middle and roll in lemon juice and place them into a freezer bag.  push out the air and seal and freeze.  I use these in my green smoothies and now have them for my popsicles too.   Don't forget to add in your tablespoon of cocoa!  Yum!

Almond Butter Banana Popsicles        

Ingredients
  • 4 bananas
  • ¾ cup California almond butter
  • ½ cup + 2 Tbsp. unsweetened California almond milk
  • 1 Tbsp. maple syrup
  • ½ tsp. vanilla extract
    INSTRUCTIONS
  1. Place all ingredients in a blender and puree until very smooth and creamy. Taste and adjust sweetness as needed.
  2. Pour the batter into 8-10 popsicle molds (will vary depending type of mold used) and freeze for at least 6 hours, until solid.
  3. Enjoy! Store in a sealed container in the freezer until ready to serve.
NOTES
For chocolate version, add in 1 tbsp. cocoa powder

I hope you enjoy these healthy popsicle treats and when I get some time I will do another blog with the rest of my collection. 
Blessings,
Cherlynn

No comments:

Post a Comment