Thursday, September 29, 2011

Still dealing with eggs

A by product of making home made egg noodles which I am still making is having lots of left over egg whites.  The most effective way to use up all those egg whites is to make up Angel Food Cakes.  These freeze very well and thaw fast when you need one.  I only have one Angel Food cake pan so I can only do one at time.  After this week I will be on the look out for more pans at thrift stores.

An Angel Food cake uses 1 1/2 cup of egg whites.  When I worked at the hospital, they allowed diabetics to have a small slice of Angel Food Cake so it's easier on the sugar than most cakes.  For each cake I use this recipe:

Angel Food Cake

1 cup cake flour
3/4 + 2 Tablespoons sugar
Sift together and set aside

1 1/2 cup egg whites (about 12)
1 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
1/4 teaspoon salt

In a large mixer bowl, beat until foamy.  Slowly add 3/4 cup sugar 2 Tablespoons at a time and beat until you get stiff peaks.  Gently fold in 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla and 1/2 teaspoon Almond.  Sprinkle flour-sugar Mixture, 1/4 cup at a time folding in gently into the meringue until the flour mixture disappears.  Carefully put the batter into the ungreased tube pan.  Gently cut through batter.

Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until top springs back when touched lightly with finger.  Invert tube pan on funnel, let hang until cake is completely cool.

I discovered on my second cake I was out of cream of tartar.  I decided to substitute a tablespoon of lemon juice and it seems to of worked just fine.  Some substitutes work just fine and others totally flop.  You never know until you try!  Well as the cake cooled it fell all apart.  Still tasted good but totally unsuitable for the freezer!  So much for lemon!  I'll have to go to town to get cream of tartar and add that to my food storage list!

Cherlynn
brchbell@yahoo.com

No comments:

Post a Comment