Monday, October 31, 2011

One thing that always bugged me

I was so excited when I learned how to vacuum seal stuff into canning jars but it always bugged me that the method required electricity.  I found a system that didn't use electric but it made a hole in the lid and you had to cover it with a sticker and then you couldn't reuse the lids.   Then one day I was flipping through my copy of Making the Best of Basics by James Talmage Stevens.  There are a few ads scattered throughout the book and I found one that offered plans to make a Multi-Jar Non- electric Vacuum sealing Pump.  James says he's been using his homemade unit for over 10 years and it works great, even does 5 gallon buckets!   So I sent $13 off and got my instructions and a friend is busy making me one right now.  If you too would like to order in the plans I will give you the ordering info here.  "Get you copy of plans for this do it yourself project by remitting $10 check or money order + $3 postage to: Tom Halverson, 46962   269th Avenue, Laporte, MN 56461       You can e-mail him if you have other questions: sketches@paulbunyan.net

Now this uses an old piston style compressor from a car.  He tells you exactly the ones to buy and even tells you how to test it before you buy it.   I very much prefer to get equipment that doesn't need electric or gas to run so that in a crisis I could still use it without power if I had to.  If you are not mechanically inclined  make a copy of your plan and go find a friend who is!  For a nominal fee they can make one for you and get to keep their copy of the plan.  Our friend already has orders to make more of these  so it will help him earn more $$ to support his family. 

Hope you have a great day!
Cherlynn
brchbell@yahoo.com

No comments:

Post a Comment